Here’s a simple, short lesson plan from the terrific Practical Pages website that is full of neat ideas to make great works of art come alive for your kids — by tracing them!
Why would you want to have your student trace some famous artwork? Nadene shares a few ideas:
- Create a reference to a famous work and add it to written biographies and narrations.
- Apply techniques famous artists use
- Learn to mix colours, do colour washes and paint in layers with details last
- Make the art work “your own”
- Focus on the original for clues and details
- Use the original for some more contemporary art techniques (like a collage/ a mural/ coasters/place mats/ quilt designs/ build a 3D landscape, etc.)
- Although many adults consider this just “colouring in”, I encourage them to give it a try! It is MUCH more difficult than it seems!
This is a great idea… give it a try. CLICK HERE to go to the website!